
In a response to the High Court, Defense Minister Katz accused Army Radio workers of presenting false claims amid legal challenges to the station’s closure.
Defense Minister Israel Katz sharply criticized the Army Radio workers' union in his response to the High Court of Justice on Monday, accusing the organization of attempting to mislead the court through what he described as false affidavits.
Katz's accusations came in response to the petition filed by Army Radio workers, which challenged the decision, with a consolidated hearing scheduled for the end of January.
Katz announced the decision to shutter the military broadcaster last week, with the closure slated to take effect in March.
Army Radio has been broadcasting for 75 years, and has long served as a training ground for generations of Israeli journalists. The government has argued that the army has no business operating a news station, especially one that it especially one that it claims leans toward one side of the political map.
Petitions were immediately filed against the decision. Supreme Court President Isaac Amit said a hearing would be set for the end of January, but declined to issue an interim order freezing the decision.
Another petition was issued two days later, when workers said they had received notice that their employment would be frozen as early as this week. The Defense Ministry denied these claims.
A narrative conjured from nothing
In his response on Sunday, Katz argued that the arguments - backed by affidavits signed by two senior figures in the radio station - were “a case of ‘creation ex nihilo’ - a narrative conjured from nothing. In reality, none of it occurred.”
Following the government's vote to shutter the station last week, Katz issued two directives: first, to cease recruiting for Army Radio and redirect those already recruited to other military tracks; second, to start the process of transferring current military personnel at the outlet to other posts by February 15.
This would not apply to Galgalatz, the popular music station operated by the IDF.
Part of the issue is the advisers to the station. The government's decision includes, as preparation for the new calendar year, processes that ensure that the contracts of these advisors don't extend beyond February 2, to pave the way for the station’s closure.
Katz's response attacked the petition, which, according to the defense minister, falsely portrayed the situation as if operations would be effectively stalled on January 1.
Yonah Jeremy Bob contributed to this report.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Nigeria warns its citizens in South Africa to be cautious after march turns violent - 2
Two die and thousands homeless after flooding hits Russia's Dagestan - 3
NASA releases new photos of interstellar comet 3I/ATLAS - 4
Doulas play essential roles in reproductive health care – and more states are beginning to recognize it - 5
When is MLK Day? Plus, the dates of when other federal holidays land in 2026.
The most effective method to Pick the Best Wellbeing Highlights for Seniors in SUVs
Figure out How to Use the Experience of a Fender bender Legal counselor for Your Potential benefit
The Best Web-based Courses for Ability Advancement
South Korea president says Iran war shows the need to ditch ‘extremely risky’ fossil fuels
Figure out how to Team up with Your Auto Crash Legal advisor for Best Outcomes
The most effective method to Move toward Compensation Conversations for Cutting edge Practice Enrolled Attendants
Whale stranded off Germany for days found stuck again
Lahav 433 head Asst.-Ch. Meni Benjamin named as police officer investigated for breach of trust
Artemis 2 astronauts are about to see one of the rarest skywatching sights of all — a solar eclipse from beyond the moon













